by Kathie England
Did you know?
- 4 billion people (primarily women) on this planet cook their meals over open fires.
- Smoke from these open fires is the equivalent of smoking 400 cigarettes per hour (that’s three packs a day).
- Smoke from these open fires is the number one killer of children under the age of 5.
- 4 million people (primarily women and children) die each year from the smoke generated by cooking meals over open fires.
- 20 hours a week are spent carrying the wood needed to cook meals over open fires (when children carry the wood that means they are not in school).
- Wood to build these open fires for cooking has huge environmental consequences – deforestation contributes to the climate crisis on our planet.
Did you know StoveTeam International is devoted to impacting this humanitarian and climate crisis?
StoveTeam International is an incredible non-profit organization that uses culturally-appropriate solutions to empower communities to solve local problems. Founded in 2008 it provides improved cook stoves to people in developing nations in Latin America. According to the organization, it has been responsible for the distribution of over 76,300 stoves to date.
“A gift to StoveTeam transforms a kitchen into a safe place where a family can come together for years to come. Each $50 Ecocina or $100 Justa cookstove saves an average family of 8 people from the dangers of smoke and burns. Each stove also saves 50% of fuel wood, and provides local jobs where they are needed most.”
Who We Can Be
We can be generous. Take a small step and donate to StoveTeam International.